The patron of our school is Father John Michael Kelly, (1911-1986), a Basislian Priest and alummus of St. Michael’s College (1932). Father John Kelly was ordained in 1936 and was President of the University of St. Michael’s College from 1958-1978. He was devoted to pastoral care and to the university community. Father John M. Kelly was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1984.
The Fr. John M. Kelly Library, built in 1967, has remained the academic heart of St. Michael’s College. Our school is honoured to be named after a man who challenged his students to build a City of God in our midst.